Whenever one of my sisters or I was sick, Mom would let us watch a Christmas movie no matter the month. White Christmas was usually the number one film of choice. Nothing like Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby to lift the spirits. Today, I reinstated that tradition when I came down with a cold–this time I chose Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the Jim Carrey version). There’s just something about Christmas movies that makes a sick day a little bit better.
Some of my other picks for sick day movies:
- No matter how lousy a day is, Star Wars can make it better. It’s not just a great movie, it’s a indelible part of my childhood that brings back dear memories.
- Toy Story. Well, really, anything by Pixar will make a sore throat and cough a little more bearable.
- Anything from Disney. Again, an integral part of a 1990s childhood that brings back comforting memories.
- Golden Age Hollywood musicals: Singin’ in the Rain, Calamity Jane, The Court Jester, Meet Me in St. Louis, The Music Man, Oklahoma!, The Sound of Music, State Fair. I could go on. Unforgettable songs, entertaining dance numbers, gorgeous Technicolor costumes–how could you not feel better.
- Jane Austen movies whether for TV or film. Timeless romances, sweet and calming, with noble heroines and handsome heroes.